Problems when you try to install Windows 10 update KB5001649
Today Microsoft has issued update KB5001649 to fix blue screen of death and other issues caused by recent Microsoft updates. The problem is Windows 10 KB5001649 fails to install with 0x80070541 error. One thing to note is that this is an ‘optional “emergency” update’. IF you go check for updates it will list as available but when you try to install it just disappears. When you check again it gives you the error message (0x80070541) like in the image above.
The error is likely due to compatibility issues with other Windows 10 March updates. This appears to be a common issue for many users using versions of Windows 10 2004 and newer.
This update will fix the error we mentioned in our earlier blog post Windows Update KB5000802 crashes your system when printing to certain printers.
How to fix error 0x80070541 when installing KB5001649
To fix error 0x80070541 in Windows 10 an Windows Server, follow these steps:
*First of all check which version of Windows your are running, to do this open Settings > System > About and under Windows specifications note the version number.*
- Visit the Microsoft Update Catalog site here.
- Click on the ‘Download’ button next to the correct version of Windows 10
3. A pop-up window will appear when you click on the download button. Click on the blue writing ending .msu to download the update. **UPDATE** Chrome has a silent download blocker in there but it works fine in Edge
4. Once the file has download click on it to start the installation.
5. Click ‘Yes’ to begin the install.
Once the update has completed installing you will need to reboot your machine to finish the installation. The previous bugs will now be fixed.
For more information on Windows Updates click here. You will find the latest updates and and known errors with them.